Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2010/05/05

REM transition sleep disorder

I am now 20 weeks pregnant, and recently my unfortunate awakenings have started up again with a vengeance - its now happening every night. It always happens about an hour after I fall asleep - I awake to something thats happening in a dream, but I think I''m awake, I interact physically (jump out of bed,etc), talk to people, then eventually figure out that I''m not really awake and go back to sleep. Problem is that I am exhausted the following day adn thus can''t focus at work and feel downright horrible. Obviously I can''t take my meds (Rivotril) so is there anything else I can do try and get it under control?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Rivotril is probably the safest of the drugs used for this condition, even in pregnancy. By 20 weeks there is very little risk to the fetus from the Rivotril, but there may well be a risk from your nocturnal behaviours - for example if you were to walk through a plate glass window. From what you describe, I would be inclined to advise you to continue with your Rivotril, but I think you should discuss this with your doctor.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/05/06

Reply to Sleep expert