Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2011/04/19

REM sleep transition disorder and sulpiride

Dear CS

This question is for pure curiosity! I have suffered from supposed REM sleep transition disorder since my teenage years, and was taking clonazapam on and off during times when it got worse (usually stress). Since being pregnant, having kids and breastfeeding the past 5 years I ofcourse have not been taking it, and my poor husband had to suffer through the epsiodes. Interesting thing is that I am now taking sulpiride for enhancing milk production, and the episodes have disappeared completely! its wonderful, especially as I am utterly exhausted the morning after and episode, even though it only lasts a minute or two. How would the sulpiride do this??

Sulpiride is a peculiar drug, unaccountably beloved by many SA docs, and does seem specifically useful in regard to milk production. It has mild but not impressive effects on anxiety and depression, and is rather too easily prescribed in emotional problems as a way to help whatever the diagnosis, though muddying the water s as to make it harder to establish the proper diagnosis. As it has so many possible means of action, it's hard to guess what specifically it might be doing that is helpful in the situation you describe. Almost all psychoactive drugs affect sleep architecture and hence REM matters to at least some extent. Have you tried googling Sulpiride and REM sleep ?

1