Posted by: Kit | 2009-04-03

Religion in mixed religions marraige

Hi all, please help me, if anyone can tell me if there is any law in SA that states which parents religion a child will fall under if the parents are from two different religions, I have tried googling but cant find anything, PLEASE help me, ill appreciate it so much! even if you could point me to a website with the info. Thanks

I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure there is no such law. It is very important when people of different religions mary, that they decide firmly, and in advance, in what religion they will raide the child. So I'm pretty sure it would need to be negotiated by the parents, and if they couldn't agree, I don't know whether a court could negotiate. I believe a child should be able to decide what religion they wiosh to follow, once they are old enough and informed enough, to make an informed choice for themselves.

Posted by: Kit | 2009-04-06

No i wouldnt want to force the child, but i dont want it to become a problem between my husband and I when the child is still young and not able to make a decision for him or herself and that is why I am hoping or wondering if ther is a law

Reply to Kit
Posted by: Leanne | 2009-04-05

Religon is freedom of choice... It is extremely unlikely that the law would force someone to be of a certain religon. Judging from your question, I gather you are hoping there is some law so your child has to follow your religon? Don' t force your child... Let him/her find it him/herself. We were forced to to go church as children and we dreaded it. Don' t let religon be a burden and chore.

Reply to Leanne
Posted by: Traditionalist | 2009-04-03

It depends on how you were raised and in what religion. Where either parent is not particularly religious, ie have to ask your parents if you were ever Baptised, or Confirmed and the only times to see the inside of a Church is at a wedding or funeral then its pretty easy to just decide.
The problem arises where BOTH parents are strict followers of a particular religion and BOTH feel strongly about where the kids should go.
I don' t hold CS' s view that chidren should decide what chruch or faith to follow at a later stage because by that time religion is totally not important to them as they have never been schooled in any religion so they grow up without any religious faith or beliefs... not good in my opinion. If they have at least been schooled in a particular religion and when they are older and able to decide for themselves to leave and go elsewhere, then I have no problem with that.
Basically I would say that whoever is the more fervent follower of a religion, then the children should follow that one.

Reply to Traditionalist
Posted by: Hope* | 2009-04-03

Unfortunately I dont know of a where to find out about this. The thought does come to mind though that surely this should have been worked through before you got married, unless one of you changed religions after the marriage?

Reply to Hope*