Posted by: Anna | 2009-10-07

Relief Allowance

Our company retrenched a manager, I have been holding the post for the past 8months (As i worked under the Manager) I have been carrying out all the necessary responsibilities of a Manager. At this stage the company does not intend on bringing in some-one else. I have asked several times for an increase but have had no feedback too date. Any suggestion on how to deal with this? Am i suppost to get relieving/acting allowance

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

There is no right in law to the extra pay, this is merely an interest unless ofcourse your company falls under a Bargaining Council agreement.

Posted by: Boetie | 2009-10-07

If there is any agreement verbal or written then the co. are obliged to abide by the agreement. If no agreement then they can use their discression. I worked 4 a co. where over the last 5 yrs of my being there, staff who left were just never replaced. Their work was just farmed out among the rest of us. This was the boss' s way of saving. Eventually we were less than 1/2 the original staff compliment trying to do everything. Senior management conveniently lost sight of the fact + continued to pressurise us for more + more work, not making allowances 4 mistakes. Of course nobody got a cent extra, more than 1 year no increases at all, just excuses. The stress eventually got 2 me + after being on high bp. medication 4 a year I resigned + got something else. It sounds as though U also work 4 a similar type of co. Any boss who has some common sense will understand that happy, contented staff r usually good loyal staff.

Reply to Boetie