Question
Posted by: Jack | 2011/07/09

Relentless depression

I have been suffering from serious depression since August last year. I have been hospitalised twice, I have seen numerous psychiatrists, doctors, councellors and psychologists but still this darkness persists. I have taken numerous medicines and are currently using a -|- tail of 2 AD''s and an anti-psychotic but all it does is to slightly mute the way I feel. Everytime I try out a new AD or go and see a new doctor I get optimistic only to be dissapointed in the end. I am a shadow of my former self, I have no interest, ambition and no passion left in my life. The only thing that keeps me alive is my 3 kids and wife but I know that my condition affects them just as badly as it does me. I sometimes wonder whether being dead wouldnt be a better option for them than constantly seeing their father staring into the void and walking around the house like a ghost.

It happens, but it's really uncommon for someone's depression not to respond to such treatment. The first or second AD tried might not work well enough - each of them suits only around 70 % of those who try it. Some people do respond better to a combination of ADs, as they each tend to have a different way of affecting the relevant brain chemicals. Such problems as you describe tend to be called "Treatment-Resistant Depression", and calls for a thorough review and a series of planned trials of different meds, and also other meds called "adjuvants" which may help an AD tyo work more effectively.
Presumably they will also have checked other possible physical aspects of your situation, as such things as hormone changes, or low thyroid conditions, may need to be dealt with as they otherwise can confound AD treatment.
I understand how horribly discouraging all of this has been for you, but it is really worth persisting, and continuing the struggle to find the right way to lift this depression. I can assure you, from loads of experience and research studies, that your family and children are far better off having you around, even while you are seriously depressed, than without you. Stay alive and stay strugling for their sake as well as your own.
The problem may seem interminable, but a year isn't excessively long in the sense that albeit rare, some people need a year or two of adjusting their chemistry AND working on their psychology ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therpay seems the most likely to be effective ) before things come right. You are worth it.
The sense of hopelessness, and the loss of pleasure and interest is sadly typical of Depression, and should lift as the illness starts to subside.
Do keep in touch with us on the forum, if you wish, and let us know what various treatments you have tried, and how things are going on for you

2
Posted by: Jack | 2011/07/11

CS, I have the world''s respect for you. To even reply to a post late on a saturday afternoon shows selfless dedication and your carefully selected words of wisdom and encouragement is a beacon of light.
Thanks I will stay on the forums and hang in there, I feel a bit better already. When one is in a very severe depressive state of mind it clouds your perception, judgement and experience of the past, present and future.

Reply to Jack