Posted by: WEB | 2013-02-18

Relaxation Meditation

Currently seeing a a psychologist, who is primarily treating me for PTSD. Relaxation meditation was suggested and will give it a try.
First attempt though lead me to a near emotional breakdown. I also have extreme anxiety. So not quite sure what happened, psychologist in trying to explain it to me said I had regressed to a very frightening time in my life and because I did not learn the normal coping mechanisms required that is how it presented. I was supported throughout the session so I do trust to a level, by nature I am not very trusting, but hey, I need to feel better.

Is this sort of treatment ok or should I be steering clear. What are the dangers if any? I really hate feeling vulnerable, but if it can help me I will give it a go.

I'm not clear what precise psychological method this psychologist is using, and maybe it'd be wise to ask him/ her to explain the method itself more fully. Its not useful at all to encourage "regression " in session, and cognitive-behaviour therapy seems more successful in such situations, and SSRI antidepressants can also help.
I wouldn't be happy accepting an entirely ad hoc method devised only by the one therapist, rather than a recognized and tested method used widely

Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-19

Hi Web

I tried seeing a psychologist who tried hypnotherapy and some other technique. I could not get my mind to relax and focus on the one thing she was asking me to ... I came to the conclusion I need practical methods of dealing with anxiety - not my head in the clouds. I am starting CBT (Cognitive behavioural therapy which I hear is very beneficial in treating anxiety) as I know I have become trapped in negative thoughts which just exacerbate the anxiety. You need to find a psychologist that you feel comfortable with, that you relate to and that does treatment in line with the kind of person you are. My therapist was very sweet but she was " too out there"  - giving rocks names " Panic" , " Anxiety" , Happiness etc and I had to tell all the negative ones to go away and she''d " make the respond" ... um, no - not for me... just show and teach me practical methods of coping and changing my thought processes and I''ll get better. I''ve started keeping a journal of my anxiety triggers, physical body responses and what I can do to deal with them better. I realised some situations are beyond my control (these are the ones making me most anxious) and I have to accept that.
Good Luck

Reply to Pixie