Question
Posted by: Deborah | 2010/03/11

relaxation and medication

Hi Doc. I have been on numerous anti depressants and my anxiety is still prevalent. Does one need to use medication and relaxation techniques together to be more successful. The anti depressants I am on now are helping a lot, so dont want to change them. Just need to get the last anxiety symptoms gone. Thanks.

I always recommend the combination of CbT and relaxation techniques for the best treatment of anxiety problems, with or without medicines. Too many doctors think writing a prescription will be the complete and ideal management of a situation, rather than recognizing the drugs as merely one tool to be used to help. Ask for referral to a psychologist for CBT and relaxation training. IT should need many sessions to give you control over these remaining symptoms

1