Posted by: BBKing | 2009-09-21

Relationship with wife and children

I am a 55 year old married man for 26 years -3 children aged son 26 -son 24 and daughter 19
About a week ago I found out that my wife and children sit and drink and smoke together I was totally freaked out and caused a major scene wlth cursing and threats to boot
It is now a week later and we hardly speak to each other
My question (a) Am I being unreasonabl,is this the new world which have left me behind or am I justified in my behaviour
I drink but do not smoke
Please advise because I must either get over with it and try and restore relations or get the hell out of this marriage,because clearly I see myself as an outsider here.

I responded the other time you posted this question, but I agree with Really's wise comments, too.

Posted by: Really | 2009-09-21

Is your problem with the fact that they were drinking and smoking or was it that they were doing it together?

I think if they do it in moderation and maintain the respect, there is no problem. As long as there is no driving and illegal drugs... wouldn' t you rather they drink at home and not out where they could get hurt or do something stupid.

I can understand the 19 year old maybe a little young for such.... but you should never forget that your kids are now adults and if they choose to drink and smoke they will. If you do not agree with it they let them know. I don' t smoke and I will never allow anyone to smoke in my home. So maybe you need to speak to your wife about how you feel about the situation... and your kids as well...

It needn' t be a reason to not talk to each other forever!

Good Luck.

Reply to Really