Question
Posted by: pp | 2010/12/02

relationship

Hi My son and his wife live in UK with their new baby. My son works away from home a lot and is away at the moment. His wife has taken the baby and gone to live with her mother. Before my son went away they came here to us for 3 weeks..When they left my daughter in law promised she would skype us once a week so as we could keep in touch with baby. This has only happened once in over 2 mths. When ever I ask she makes an excuse. She says she is too busy with the baby but then my son tells me how happy she is out with her friends and visiting all over the country. I have said any time any day but she just ignores me, My dilema is do I confront her or do I speak to my son..I am a great believer in not causing problems between husband and wife so don''t think I will but what do I do. All our other grandchildren are in UK and we have an amazing relationship with them built over skype ect. My son has said he wants us to have the same relationship with his son but it seems his wife is not of the same mind. It breaks our hearts..I do not want to do anything that could cause a rift or we may never get to have a relationship with him. What do you suggest?

Confrontation is grossly over-rated as a necessary or useful technique. But of course tell her that you are concerned she is not making it easy for you to keep contact with the child, and that this upsets you, and that you would like to work with her on finding a better solution.
Don't focus so completely on Skype, but on your understandable desire to keep contact with the kid.

2

Posted by: China | 2010/12/02

Ok....how does them not wanting to skype mean you will never have a relationship with " them" ?

Reply to China