Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2009-06-24

Relationship

I lived with my previous girlfriend for 22 years. Two years ago I met someone else &  ended up moving out of my flat to be with the new girlfriend. My new girlfriend gets very upset that my old girlfriend is still living in my flat &  that I am supporting her as she lost her job last year, and says I must cut the ties with the old girlfriend if I want our relationship to work out. She finds it odd that I don' t see anything strange with this arrangement. I can see why she is not happy,but would appreciate your views please.

I can understand your new gf's feelings in wanting you to end the previous relationship, but also understand your wish to be somewhat protective of your previous very long-lasting friend. Couples counselling might enable you and the new woman in your life to understand each other better, and perhaps come to a better agreement