Question
Posted by: Keen | 2010/02/02

Reiki and depression

Hi doc

My friend does Reiki - its an alternative form of healing. I am suffering from depression and she offered to do some sessions for me for free to see if it will help. She herself is very scientific minded and was the one who encouraged me to see a doctor and get medication for the depression. Have you had any positive experience with Reiki with clients who have gone for it?

There is no in existence a shred of good research evidence that Reiki ever actuallty benefits anyone's health. And NO evidence that it benefits depression. Your friend was wise to suggest that you see a doctor for assessment and proper treatment of your depression - the evidence is good only for the effectiveness of antidepressant meds and for Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT.

2
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/02

The problem with Reiki are all those untrained ' masters'  floating about. It' s like reading a comic and deciding that it has taught you enough that you can write a book. Or as is sometimes the case, reading a book and thinking that it gives you all the knowledge to practise Reiki. That can cause absolute disaster. I' m not saying that your friend is one of the illiterate-literates, and encouraging you to go see a doctor was definitely good advice from her side, but you have to ensure that only someone well-trained does it for you. For the rest - the illiterate-literates have given the whole thing a bad reputation, so I won' t be surprised if other readers give a different response.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza