Posted by: Hanna | 2009-06-27

why do they try to treat addiction in a short term? there are no quick fix, but at least 1 - 2 years especially on the' hard drugs' . rehabs should be less expensive so that there are more people who can be treated and helped. while the person is in the detox phase, it is really impossible to concentrate on all the info they receive. rahter give them something to keep them busy, like in the fresh air planting flowers, veggies (which can be use in the rehab) and after that start with a programme.

Expert ImageArchive

I agree with you Hanna, there is no quick fix, and recovery is a continual learning process for most in recovery. However, there is no single path for recovery - and each person needs to see what will ultimately work for them. I like to view it as the cumulative effect of interventions for those with more advanced dependencies. Most interventions have there pro's and con's - long-term (1-3yr) residential programmes might only serve to institutionalise some - without really testing how they hope in the 'normal' world - that is not to say that I am against these programmes, they are indeed very useful (and needed) for some. Some shorter treatment residential treament programmes with strong after-care support networks and self-help groups such as AA/NA and CAD are also very successful. What is important is to match treatment intervention to the profile of patient. I fully agree that one of the greatest stumbling blocks in the field is the access to residential care in SA - and we need to perhaps lobby government about this...

Posted by: Meisie | 2009-06-29

I have a 30 year old son and he is on and of heroin all the time. Do not know how to help him anymore. He was in so many rehabs and nothing seem to help. He has ruined me financially, with all the stealing and paying for rehabs. I have even let him go to jail for a couple of months and this did not work. If anyone has any answers of helping please let me hear from you. I am desperate. My son is unemployed as well and that is also a huge reason why he is going back to drugs but he cannot find emplyment with his work record and there is just no funds available for futher studies. I know there is other families with the same problems. What do you do?

Reply to Meisie
Posted by: Andreas Pluddemann | 2009-06-28

You are quite correct that drug rehabilitation is sometimes a long process. However, this can be done through effective ' aftercare'  such as joining support groups like AA or NA. Unfortunately it is simply not possible to keep people in facilities for long periods of time, so attending aftercare groups after a 4-6 week programme is very important. Like with many ' chronic diseases' , a lot of responsibility does lie with the patient, to continue to ' take there medicine'  (which in the case of drug dependence could be attending aftercare, for example).

Reply to Andreas Pluddemann