Posted by: Worrywort | 2011-11-24

Regulating sleep pattern

Hi doc, hope you''re well rested today :-)

I''m a 25y/o female. About a year and half ago I started a job that requires shift work. My working hours alternate between 04:00-12:00 shifts for one week, 12:00-20:00 shifts the other week and i get two weekends off per month (Saturday-Monday). So I work 6 days morning, 5 days afternoon and I have my 3days off.

On my morning shifts, I get EXHAUSTED when I get back from work so I end up passing out after lunch (14 00), and I''l wake up at about 17:00, and most days I''m unable to sleep till about 00:00 or 01 00am and i have to be up at about 2am. I''ve tried staying awake for the afternoon and maybe sleeping at around 19:00, but when I do that, I only end up falling asleep at around 22:00, and I struggle to wake up either way.

On my afternoon shifts, I wake up at about 04:00 when I''d fallen asleep at around 22 00. Is there anyway of regulating my sleep pattern so I can have a nice normal day :-)

thank you

Expert ImageSleep Expert

There are ways of doing things that will give you a closer-to-normal day.

You need to sit down with a sleep professional and analyse the whole thing together, including how you deal with your days off, any medications you might be on, social and family commitments, and so on.

Yes, I am absolutely sure you can do it better!