Posted by: Raya | 2009-04-15

Regular gastro

My husband is 34 yrs old. He is healthy, normal weight and generally eats healthy foods and always in good proportions.

The only problem is that he doesnt deal very well with stress and it usually ends up with him having gastro, diarrhea. He gets diarrhea almost every second week whenever he is stressed out and it lasts for a day or two. In December it lasted for almost 1 week when we went on holiday. The doc at the time said that it was a bug. I am very worried about the frequency of these bouts because it makes him feel very weak.

What should he do about it or is it just the way his body deals with stress?

Dear Raya
Before one assumes that the diarrhoea is caused by stress, other causes like infection or food intolerance needs to be excluded. Ask your doctor to send a stool sample to the lab to ensure that it is not an underlying parasitic infection or malabsorbtion problem. If it is stress related, he can give him medication to take as needed ( Aterax) and he can use Immodium when this happens/