Posted by: linros | 2009-03-25

Regular exercise vs increased appetite

Hi Doc.
I' m a 28 year old woman, 1.68m tall and weigh 74kg (medium bone structure). I' ve been participating in Adventure bootcamp since January where I exercise 3 times a week. I' m not sure if you' ve heard of bootcamp, but basically it combines cardio &  strength exercises through interval training e.g. 3 mins jogging, 3 mins squats, 3 mins skipping, 3 mins lunges, etc.
I' ve managed to lose 20cm overall in the last 2 months and have lost 2kg (lost fat % too).

I follow a low GL diet (low fat, whole grain, regular small portions, etc) and have been doing for almost 6 months. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks daily. I' ve found in the last 2 weeks that my appetite has been increasing - is this related to the regular exercise? If so, why was I able in January &  February to stick to my normal eating plan?

FYI - Prior to starting bootcamp I was not as physically active and was able to maintain my weight.

Dear Linros
It is stunning that you have lost 20 cm and 2 kg with the Bootcamp exercises and your low-GI diet. If you are on a low-GI diet this should prevent low blood sugar levels that increase appetite, so it is possible that as you are getting fitter you are exercising more strenuously and that you now require additional energy to fuel your activity. Other factors that can stimulate appetite are stress or medications including over-the-counter meds. Has anything changed in your life lately besides doing to exercise and eating the low-GI diet? If you use low-GI carbs and low-fat protein (both have an energy value of approx. 17 kJ/gram) and continue to cut down on fat (37 kJ/gram) then you will probably be able to eat larger portions of the low-GI foods to ensure that you have sufficient energy to sustain your exercise and not get hungry.
Good luck with what sounds like a super programme.