Question
Posted by: WEB | 2013-02-18

Regression within therapy

I am on medication for bipolar and anxeity I also have ptsd symtoms from chaotic life experiences.The therapist i am seeing now is relatively new, i spend a long time with another therapist, there were no problems as such, just a extreme desire from my side to be better. After a hospital stay of 3 weeks and losing just about everything I made the call in discussion with my pdoc who reassured me that I can trust my new therapist and putting full trust in the new therapist. The approach is broad, includes talk, and relaxation techniques, and there is a lot of experience from what i have been told.

All I hear is that regression is bad and dangerous but is it at all possible that it could help me if it comes up? Why do you say it should not be encouraged?

YOur desire to get better is commendable. One usually developes true PTSD from one or more very clear traumatic experiences, so bad one's life was threatened, rather than from general chaos, however unpleasant that may be. There is absolutely NO good evidence scientifically that regression is useful. It's eaier to induce than people think ( mere alcohol does it for some folks ). And it is not part of any scientifically validated therapeutic method.
Its reassuring that your pdoc thinks well of your new therapist.