Question
Posted by: The Redhead | 2010/10/06

Regain it all?

Hi Doc,

I''m kind of fed up eating right and losing NO weight.

If I take extreme meassures to lose weight, and stop when I have lost enough weight and continue with normal eating habits, will I regain all the weight?

P.S My normal eating habits are very healthy. I eat six meals a day, small healthy snacks, no sweets, sugar, no alcohol, lots of water, no red meat etc etc.

Dear Redhead
Are you really overweight and does your BMI exceed 25? If not, your body will resist weightloss so forcing yourself to lose weight may not be a good idea, esp if you try something drastic like semi-starvation. I don't know if you are overweight or not, but if you are then you need to lower your energy intake (even if you eat only healthy food your energy intake may exceed the 6300 kJ recommended for weightloss in adult women) and increase your energy expenditure by doing daily exercise. The problem with drastic weightloss diets is that they can have a negative effect on your metabolism and do more harm than good. Check your food intake against one of the slimming diets on this Website such as the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise for 30 min a day (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).
If you are not overweight, then just apply the exercise and firm up your body and get super fit.

2
Posted by: The Redhead | 2010/10/07

Thanks for the advice doc.

I''ve actually just calculated my BMI and it''s 23. Is that close to being overweight?

I''m not extremely overweight, but I have a belly, flabby arms, huuuggeee butt and I just want to lose the extra fat that''s making me feel uncomfortable in my own body. I don''t want to lose 15 kg or anything drastic, just that unhealthy bits. I''ve been going to the gym regulary, 4 days a week, altough I haven''t been for a while due to a recent injury.

Reply to The Redhead

Dear Redhead