Posted by: Jackie | 2009-04-03

Reflux related eating problems

My baby was diagnosed with relux since day one in the hospital. He will be 7 months next week. We took him to the docter last week with ear ache and was again told that he' s still got the reflux problem and should be kep upright even when his nappy is changed. That is how bad it is. He even sleeps at a 30%+ angle at night. He' s been eating solids (porridge and later pumpkin) from he was 5 months old. Since day one it' s been a nightmare. He hates eating and screams from the first month full to the last. I' ve tried various different porridge and he ended up liking the Purity good Night. He will now " take"  the porridge, but now for the first time, we notice that he can not/will not swallow on his own. You have to put the porridge in his mouth and then almost immediately put the dummy in.
Can the swallow problem/disability be related to the reflux and how can I help him. I don' t know if he' s got pain or discomfort and therefore does not want to swallow! He chemist said that I can give 2ml of Gaviscon after each meal, and I even give it before he goes to bed, but there is no real improvement. We' ve even tried giving the Gaviscon before a meal, the lesson the discomfort. He does sleep better during the night and even takes a little less milk during the night. From the 18 reflux related problems babies can have, my baby has got 13 of them - the biggest currently being the intolerance to food. Please advise on how we can " teach"  him to swallow. If the swallowing is solely due to the reflux, will he just start swallowing once the reflux is better?

Any help will be much appreciated!!!!

From a desperate mummy

I strongly suggest that you consult a paediatric surgeon. This problem sounds serious and his inability to swallow can be due to a motility defect of the oesophagus. Further tests are indicated to identify the problem.

Kind regards