Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2011/06/28

Reflux Diet Plan

Dear DietDoc

I recently admitted into hospital for severe asthma, bronchitis and sinus. I am still battling to get well. I also have reflux (on 40mg Nexium pd) and was on a Nexium drip. They say it is excacerbated by the prednisone for the asthma. I am only eating bland foods as per the physician but it is still there. The weight is dropping off me. I am confused by all the sites/info and am avoiding anything that causes it to my knowledge. Can I perhaps correspond with you directly about an eating plan for me please? I am losing weight at a rapid rate and I am actually hungry (I need to lose). If yes, please may I have your E-mail address and I shall contact you. My throat was so bad I developed sores on my voicebox and so time to change my life. I just need some guidance. I am not sure how much you charge either. I do not want to go to a dietician in the Western Cape because prior to this I told 2 of them my problem and the diet was nothing reflux friendly.

Tracey

Dear Tracey
I am so sorry to hear about your current serious health problems with severe asthma, bronchitis and sinusitis. Unfortunately I cannot correspond with Readers via e-mail, because I would be swamped with requests and unable to do my present job. Cortisone medications like the prednisone do exacerbate acid production in the stomach which will worsen your reflux no matter what you eat. The sores in your larynx are also related to the medication and your general debilitated state. I can only urge you to please consult another registered dietitian in the Western Cape (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). If you are not satisfied with the dietitians you have seen previously, then it is your right as a patient to go for a second and even a third opinion until you find a dietitian you feel comfortable with. If you click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, and then on 'DietDoc's articles' you should be able to find the article on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET', which outlines points to consider in regard to excess acid production. Also ask the dr who is treating you what general tonic you can take (e.g. a multivitamin and mineral supplement such as Centrum or Supradyn Forte) to boost your immunity.
Holding thumbs that you will find a dietitian in the Western Cape who you can work with and that you will soon be feeling much better.

1

Dear Tracey