Posted by: Angelique | 2010-06-28

Reebok Easytones

Hi there Ross,

In your opinion, do Reetones work, or do you know of anybody who has obtained positive results from them?

Hi Angelique

Honestly, I don't know. There's no evidence that I'm aware of. THere are a few such shoes on the market now - I saw a whole shop in London recently. But still no evidence, only smartly packaged theories.

Generally, when it comes to shoes, you can't fool the body, though. There's some really interesting research on running shoes that has found that the muscles simply adapt to the loading, the surface, the wear of the shoes, the hardness or softness, and ultimately keep the overall impact and 'soft-tissue vibration' the same.

So what does that mean for these shoes? It could mean that wearing them requires completely different muscle activation patterns which does add to the overall workout. Or, it could do nothing, because the body just adjusts to keep this the same.

What jumps out at me is that lack of research, because this is a really easy question to evaluate. Yet nobody has done it, and that makes me think there's nothing to it.

Having said that, if you're going to buy shoes, and these do nothing, then you lose nothing (unless they're super expensive). Or, if they do work, you benefit. So you might try. But I would not put too much hope in them.