Posted by: coral | 2010-08-25

reducing wrinkles versus reducing appearance

Most products state they improve the " appearnce"  of lines and wrinkles, which to my mind means it doesn''t fix the wrinkle itself but rather the symptom on the surface. I can''t see any products that are absorbed deeper than merely the epidermis. Is there ANYTHING available (product or method) that goes to the root of a wrinkle in the dermis(?), and are products on beauty counters simply capable of temporarily improving the " look"  of wrinkles?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Coral, thank you for the question and my apologies for the delay with my response but I was away presenting at a medical congress.

A number of topical ingredients have been shown to benefit the skin at the dermal layer but it is important to state that these effects will be mild to moderate. To be specific one can expect an improvement of fine lines, increased smoothness of skin, textural improvement, pigmentation improvement, and an increase in skin elasticity. Your most important topical is a good SPF (50 or higher) that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Topicals to look out for should include the alphahydroxy acids, polyhydroxy acids, vitamin A, and vitamin C. these ingredients are found in one form or another in NeoStrata, Environ, Nimue, IS Clinical, etc. One can expect further improvements with topicals by adding a regular glycolic acid peeling regime.

Moderate to deep lines and severe deep pigmentation will require other treatment modalities. These include Botox, dermal fillers, and skin rejuvenation technologies.