Question
Posted by: scorpio | 2008/10/24

red vs green

Hi Doc. Is there a difference in green and red apples? Fructose content? When I eat red apples, I become bloated and my stomach runs. However, with green apples, I dont have these effects. Thanks for your help.

Dear Scorpio
I must admit that I have not ever heard that the colour of apples can make a difference to bloating and diarrhoea. If you are allergic to some component of the red apples I would suggest that you wash them very thoroughly to ensure that they don't still have any pesticide residues on the skin and then try peeling them before you eat them. If you don't develop the tummy upsets then it could be sensitivity to the pesticides used on red apples that may differ from those used on green apples. If this does not help then it is best to avoid red apples because it is not worth having expensive tests done to determine which component you are allergic to. If your reactions should spread to other foods, then is the time to have allergy tests.

3
Posted by: Y | 2008/10/27

I think that it should be obvious that red and green apples contains different levels of different components (e.g. tannins) - their taste and texture are completely different! (And unlike DietDoc suggest it is not the colour or the insecticide that they are treated with that makes the difference - if you skin the apples they difference in taste and texture is still obvious.) If red apples make you bloat, just eat the green ones. They taste better in any case.

Reply to Y
Posted by: Night owl | 2008/10/24

Just be paitents, Dr answer during nigth time.
Wait till Monday

Reply to Night owl
Posted by: lil mama | 2008/10/24

Hi anyone when will I know when the dr repies where should I look for the reply??

Reply to lil mama