Question
Posted by: Bev | 2009/10/26

Red swollen joint on first finger

About three months ago I was prescribed Lamisil tablets for a nail fungus. Three weeks into the treatment, the top joint of my finger became inflamed. Gout test negative, X-ray negative. Surgeon operated and removed pus (not much pus, he said). The entire finger is now swollen and a little painful when I try to move that joint and the finger is misshapen and deformed. Went to an Occupational Therapist and she gave me excercises to do but fiinger is still swollen and bent. No more money in medical aid for specialists this year - I had a tracheotomy in March. So where to now? Do I donate this finger to science?

Hallo Bev
Is the infection cleared up totally? The joint probably have had some damage due to the infection - the swelling and stiffness is quite common after such an infection. It may take months to become flexible again. You can massage the finger with Arnica oil, and do the exercises that the OT gave you regularly. In the new year you should go to an orthopedic surgeon for a follow up evaluation and x/rays to see if any further surgery may be needed(like cleaning out the joint)
dr Bets

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/10/26

Hallo Bev
dr Bets

Reply to cyberdoc