Question
Posted by: miri | 2009-09-28

Red meat

hi dr, if you need to go on a diet that excludes red meat - does that incl ostrich meat? is that still considered red meat? Is the spice nutmeg from the nut family ie do you have to avoid it if you have a tree nut and peanut allergy?

Dear Miri
You don't mention why you need to exclude all red meat from your diet?? do you suffer from gout?? If so, then eating ostrich may not be advisable. Stick to white meat like chicken breasts and fish, but in moderate quantities. I would not like to say that you can use nutmeg which is not actually a nut but the seed of a tropical tree, and then you develop a reaction. It should not cause a problem if you are allergic to tree nuts and peanuts, but I would rather recommend that you contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out if there are any reports of cross-reactivity between nutmeg and tree nuts/peanuts. Rather safe than sorry.

1
Posted by: miri | 2009-09-28

sorry and what about pinenuts? are they also to be avoided if you have an allergy or are they not of the nut family?

Reply to miri