Posted by: fer | 2009-05-18

red marks from pimples

Whenever i get a pimple - which is quite often, usually on my forhead and around my mouth - it will leave an unsightly red mark. This really bothers me and ive tried numerous creams to lighten the marks, but nothing works. Is there any creams/procedures that you can recommend that will lighten these marks?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Fer, thank you for the question.

Your best approach would be to consult a dermatologist who can examine the acne and prescribe the best treatment option; by preventing future occurrence one will also prevent the inflamed/pigmented marks and areas from surfacing.

For the pigmented lesions that are already there my advice would be to consider a course of NeoStrata Glycolic acid peels (which will help the acne as well) and the application of NeoStrata Pigment Lightening Gel and Brightening Cream SPF 15. I would also stay away from the sun (as much as possible) and use a SPF 30 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide.

Furthermore the following tips should be kept in mind:
Use oil free topical products including makeup
Do not pick or traumatize the acne in any way
Gently was face twice daily (do not use scrubs, granular, or exfoliating face washes)