Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/04/02

Red Faced

Hi Dr. Tucker,

Should I be concerned about becoming terribly red-faced when exercising. In comparison to the other ladies in my exercise class I become the color of a tomato, and none of them are even close to what I look like despite me being the more active of the group.
I am concerned that this may be an indication of a health issue like blood pressure or something wrong with my heart.

And if I do exercise with a warm top on, I feel like I''m going to pass out or get sick (like throw up)

P.S. When I have general medical check ups, my blood pressure is always normal, but I have never checked it during exercise.

Please help

Hi Maria

No, it's not a huge issue. It's just blood flow to the extremities to help keep the body temperature down and some people "flush" when this happens, probably due to an individual response and also complexion. It's not a health issue in most cases. Obviously, one can never be too safe, and so if you can have a full medical, you'd have peace of mind, but being red faced in the absence of any other symptoms (chest or arm pain, unusual shortness of breath, dizziness etc) is normally not a problem. I think the temperature regulation is more of an issue, as your experience when you dress warmly indicates. So just keep cool and comfortable, and it should be perfectly alright.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/04/22

Hi Maria

Reply to fitnessdoc