Question
Posted by: Trisha | 2008/09/15

Red eyes

Hi,i have a query as to what the following could be: it started with my sister who woke up with both her eyes swollen,sore and red,2 days later my brother had the same issue,then it started with my mom and me,the only difference was our eyes didnt swell,they were itchy and red. We thought it was pink eye and my mom got a prescription but those drops didnt help.what could this be?

Dear Trisha
It sounds like pink eyes. Pink eyes are caused by a viral infection so antibiotic drops or drops like Spersallerg/Safyr Bleu etc does not really help at all - it needs to get better by itself like a cold, or if very bad, needs special antiviral eyedrops from an eye specialist.