Posted by: careful | 2012-05-13

red circular spot on tongue

My tongue has been sensitive a few days but i thought i bit it or something but i just looked in the mirror and was surprised to see a red area about the size of my pinky nail on the left side near the tip of my tongue, it also has a light white line around the one side of the circular patch. Should i worry about this? I really dont want to waste time with a doctor''s visit for a sensitive tongue unless it can be serious. Any ideas of what it can be?

It is possible that you have what is called a geographic tongue. This is sometimes brought on by allergies, asthma and eczema. Some people are sensitive to strawberries, pineapple, tamato, which can cause this. As I am unable to examine your tongue, it is difficult to give an informed opinion and if it does not heal and you are concerned, I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination.

You can supplement your diet with Vitamin B and suck zinc lozenges (available over the counter). Gaviscon can also bring some relief if it is painful.