Question
Posted by: Sue | 2010/05/04

Recycling milk bottles

hi
we have a milk bottle recycling scheme at work and are asked to throw used milk bottles into a separate container.

I just want to check: at my usual recycling place I was told that used bottles can''t be recycled unless they''ve been rinsed.

Is that true? If so, I''ll raised it at work.

thanks!

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

That's a good question; it's come up at 24.com too where we also have a bin for recycling. Basically, whatever the relevant recycler says goes I guess, so they'd be the ones to ask. I will find out how it works with our system and get back to you here.

2
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/05/12

Most recyclers do prefer clean, dry recyclables. (And everyone prefers recyclables that don''t smell.) This doesn''t mean you have to waste fresh water, heat and detergent (and precious time) washing them though! Just give them a quick rinse with grey water (i.e. recycled water - use your already used washing up water, for instance.)

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2010/05/05

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert