Question
Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-27

Recycling

Hi there,

I would like to start recycling but dont really know about how to go about it. I' ve heard you can recycle just about everything in your rubbish bin excluding food. Is this true? What can i recycle? Where do i get those bags from that you put the stuff in? does it have to be in those bags? where do i take the stuff when the bag is full? Do i need to seperate reyclables?

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Great that you want to start! Recycling's still not that straightforward in South Africa, but it's getting easier. The first thing you need to do is find a recycler near you who can come and pick up your recyclables; otherwise you need to take them to a recycling depot(s) yourself. If you tell me what part of the country you're in I can post some details about who to contact. You can also ask your municipality to help with contacts.

You can recycle a lot of things, but not all. The main groups are glass, metal (cans), paper, plastics, and then there's also e-waste (like old computers and cell-phones) and oil. Some can't be recycled: light bulbs, drinking glasses, paper that's wet, soiled, or (often) that's attached to plastic/metal layers.

Again it's best to find out exactly from your local recycler what they do and don't recycle, and what kind of containers they'd like the stuff in. usually you do need to separate recycleables.

Please let me know if I can supply you with more info.

6
Posted by: mbali sithole | 2010-01-19

I am interested in green living so I want to open a small recycling bussines working with local women. I am in Richards Bay.

Reply to mbali sithole
Posted by: mbali sithole | 2010-01-19

I need more information about recycling I wish to start a small business. I am interested in green living very much. I am from Richards Bay.

Reply to mbali sithole
Posted by: mbali sithole | 2010-01-19

Reply to mbali sithole
Posted by: Sam | 2009-11-12

I' d also like to know where I can recycle my stuff, I' m in the Vaal area.

Reply to Sam
Posted by: Anon | 2009-10-29

Thanks alot. Please do supply me with more info. I' m in Durban.

Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2009-10-28

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert