Question
Posted by: Micky | 2011/11/25

Recurring styes

In the last year or so I have been suffering from constant styes, getting one atleast every 2 / 3 months, sometimes twice in one week.

I read that styes are caused by staph, yet I''m a housewife and have my hands more in detergents and soaps than most people do. How could I possibly get this?

I''m also a long-term vegan, is mildly anemic (due to genetics) and suffer from allergies, hayfever and IBS. Could these be contributing fators that could weaken my immune system to such a degree that I might be more suseptable to styes?

The ointment I have works fine, but having these recurring painful infections are getting too much for me. Dietary wise, how can this be prevented / bettered?

Dear Micky
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from repeated styes. I would recommend that you actually consult an ophthalmologist because you need to get these infections cleared up once and for all. It may be necessary for you to take a course of antibiotics which specifically target the Staph infection. In the case of Staph infections the source of the infection in the body is often the nose and no matter how often you wash your hands, transmission between the nose and eyes will still take place until the bacterium is eradicated. So please see an eye specialist because our sight is precious. From a dietary point of view, I trust that you are taking an iron-folic acid supplement like Ferro-folic to help with the anaemia? if not, ask the eye specialist when you see him/her to prescribe treatment for the anaemia too. Also discuss the use of a complete vitamin and mineral supplement with the eye specialist to boost your immunity in general. Supplements like Centrum or Supradyn Forte for example, are good sources of most of the vitamins and minerals.
I hope that the styes will now be eradicated, but Please visit the eye specialist.

1

Dear Micky