Question
Posted by: Melissa Gower | 2010-02-14

Recurring Sinus infections - Desperate for answers

My two year old son has sinus infection about every two months. The Ped. and GP gives him Zinnat everytime. I' m really worried that there may be a underlying problem that they are not picking up. Since 08/01/10 he has been on two ten day Zinnat treatments and he does not look like he his getting any better. The Ped said that this is normal for a child that goes to daycare and that he will keep getting this problem. He seems to think that I' m over re-acting by beening so worried. I' ve got him on Viral Gaurd and Echinaforce for about a year now to build up his immune system but it does not seem to help. He has been in hospital 4 times from the sinus infection turning into chest infection. Last time it was so bad he was on oxygen the whole night. I' m really despreate for answers.
I really dont like my child being sick all the time. Is this normal to get infection so often? Should I take him to an ENT ?
The latest visit to the Ped revealed a sinus infection and ear infection. I really hope and pray the ear infection wont become a recurring problem.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Melissa

Children in daycare suffer more from infections than children that are more isolated. Whether he is really suffering from sinisitus is difficult to say, but I do think you may benefit from an ENT examination. As a general rule, children up to the age of two only have very small maxillary sinusses, and the others only develope at a much later stage. Small children also do not have air in these sinus cavities. (only after two years of age).
Small children are more prone to upper airway infections, as the anatomy is still very cluttered. This does improve with time.

Regards.