Posted by: Jacqui | 2011-08-31

Recurring Sinus infection in 2 year old

My daughter will be 2 years old on 5th September, and she keeps getting sinus infections - it''s almost one every 6-8 weeks for the past year now, which means more antibiotics - which I always make sure the course is completed to be properly effective.

Is there anything we can do to help prevent or stop these sinus infections or is this something she will have to deal with for life? Th Paed doesn''t seem concerned that he''s just diagnosed her with the same thing as a few weeks ago.

My eldest daughter has never had sinus infections so i don''t think its the environment and both girls also go to same Creche.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Jacqui

Two year olds do not have well developed sinusses, they only have very small maxillary sinusses. These are filled with fluid up to the age of two. Recurrent upper respiratory infections are common in children that attend creche, and up to 12 episodes per year are almost concerned normal. This includes colds and flu, and other causes of blocked noses. Unfortunately the nasal passages are very small in children, and prone to swelling, thus creating the ideal background for an infection. Unfortunately antibiotics may be required if a bacterial infection is diagnosed, but conservative management if possible would be ideal.
It could be of value to have an ENT examination of the upper airway, to see if any obvious reason for the infection is present, but I do think you should discuss this with your child's doctor. The size of your daughter's adenoids may also play a role. If she snores, it is possible that she has enlarged adenoids. Sometimes the adenoid pad may house bacteria, causing recurrent infections.
Your doctor should advise further management if you are worried. No two children are the same, so your little one may even have underlying allergies, not found in her sister.