Posted by: MPC | 2010-09-12

Recurrent throat infections

Goodday doctor,

I am 25 years old and suffers with an throat infection almost every month this year. Sometimes it is even difficult to swallow.
How much is an sore throat related to Bells Pallsy, I know that this may come as a shock but I had Bells Pallsy 6 times already, I was 5 years old the first time I had Bells. And every time it was more severe than the first time.

Should I be worried as I also suffer with severe headaches, most of the time. When I had the Bells 6 years ago I had the paralyses on both sides of my face for 6 months. And 4 years later on the right sight again.

Should I be worried about the recurrent throat infections and what can I do????

Thank You Doctor..

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear MPC

You need an urgent examination by an ENT surgeon, as well as a Neurologist. Your situation seems more complicated for the following reasons:
1. Recurrent episodes of Bell's Palsy
2. Bilateral Bell's Palsy (both sides)
3. Status of tonsils
I would think that in your case an MRI is required, as although we believe that the Herpes Simplex virus is the cause, and the disease may re-occur , the amount of times seems excessive. Bilateral palsy is also rare, and may be associated with other neurological problems. Your throat problems may be purely due to recurrent tonsillitis, if you still have tonsils, and then a tonsillectomy may be recommended, but one needs to clarify the issue with the Bell's, as a cause should be seeked. There is always the possibility that a link exists, but you need to be examined to establish this.