Posted by: Natalie | 2010-02-22

Recurrent Sinusitis

Good day Doctor,
For the last few years (after a very bad case of otitis media) I have been ''plagued'' by sinusitis. Sometimes there is mild pain in my left cheek, and I go to the doctor about twice a year when the fever, swollen glands and pain get too much to handle. Usual course of treatment is antibiotics, pain killers and anti-histamine. This usually works, but then 2 or 3 weeks later it is back again - just no fever, and pain now and then. I don''t get a sore throat anymore. Now I am also experiencing excruciating pain on my right cheek and in the bone just above my eye.

Seasons don''t seem to matter much, with regards to when I get it,

My questions are:
1. When do you think is it necessary to go to an ENT specialist?
2, Should my GP have recommended it already?
3. Do I need a letter from my GP to see an ENT specialist?
4. Is it best to go and see an ENT specialist at the " height"  of the sinusitis ''bout''/pain ?

Kind regards,

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Natalie

1. You should consult an ENT to have an endoscopic examination of the nose, to establish a possible cause for your problem. The swollen glands in the neck is not common with a sinusitis, so another cause should be excluded.
2. The problem is becoming chronic, so he should refer.
3. It is advisable to have a letter, but it is your right to seek the opinion of a specialist if you feel the problem is not addressed.
4. It would be helpful, but this is not always possible, so this should not put you off from seeking an opinion.