Posted by: Racoon | 2011-10-20

recurrent infection in ear piercings

Dear Doc

I suddely started getting recurrent infection in my ear piercings about a year ago, even though I''ve had them for 22 years. This I got even when wearing sterling silver earrings, and having cleaned them with surgical spirits before wearing. It got so bad that I stopped wearing them about 6 months ago. Since then I am still getting infections? why is this happening? and what can I do to stop it?

I am unsure why you are still getting infections after you have removed the earrings. It is possible that there is a site of infection that is simply not clearing up. I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and a possible course of antibiotics and even surgical removal of the ear piercing tract.