Question
Posted by: Sharon | 2009/11/27

Recurrant miscarriages

Hi need advice about my recurrant miscarriages.
My medical history I had 1st miscarriages (8weeks blighted ovum) 2 miscarriage (14weeks raptured membranes due to infection) 3 miscarriages (6weeks no heartbeat) 4 miscarriage (9 weeks blighted ovum). Then was diagnose with a uterine septum which was removed in July 2008. 5 miscariage (18weeks suspected incompetent cervix) 6 miscarriage (18weeks rapture of membranes due to infection) In the sixth pregnancy I had a shirodkar stitch placed at 13weeks. The stitch was still in place when my membranes raptured. Are there maybe still something wrong due to my womg abnormalitiy?

Dear Sharon

There appears to be more than one likely possibility for your miscarriages. The first trimester miscarriages maybe due a very different set of causes as apposed to the mid-trimester miscarriages. It is likely that both problems surfacing in both cases simultaneously. There is undoubtedly some deficit in your uterine structure as manifested by the septum as well as the history highly suggestive of incompetence cervix. There is also a high possibility of implantation failure accounting for a first trimester miscarriages possibly due to embryonic problems or some form of blood immune related factors. All these may need to be investigated independently. The only advise I can offer you at this stage is the trans-abdominal stitch, which has shown to be of great value in patient who failed with the conventional type of stitch. This should be combined with aggressive uterine relaxation throughout the pregnancy in the form of progesterone supplementation as well as regular causes of antibiotics even though there may be no clinical evidence of infection.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

6
Posted by: Marisca Bam | 2010/02/27

Pregnant, sonar show ovum growing with nothing inside. miscarriage.

Reply to Marisca Bam
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009/12/08

Dear Sharon

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert

Dear Sharon

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: H | 2009/12/01

I' m glad. It' s better to be safe than sorry. All the best

Reply to H
Posted by: Sharon | 2009/11/27

My gynae suspects that it is infection. Because when he removed the shirodkar stitch he could see some signs of infection. He is going to do a swab at my 6weeks check up.

Reply to Sharon
Posted by: H | 2009/11/27

Hi. Has the doctor done a vaginal swob at all. My miscarriage was due to a vaginal infection. I had to be put onto antibiotics, and with my next pregnancy will have to be on them for the first 12 and last 12 weeks. I had no signs or symptoms of this. Just no fetal heartbeat at 9 weeks. It' s worth looking into as nothing can survive with this infection as my fetility specialist says. Hope all goes well for you!

Reply to H