Posted by: Terry | 2012-09-20

Rectal bleeding associated with constipation

My husband suffers acute constipation, heartburn, reflux.and sometimes heavy rectal bleeding. He takes carbilev for parkinsons disease. has recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy, no problems detected in abdomen, no haemorhoids detected. But feels like he has an obstruction, the urge is there to pass a stool, but nothing happens. He strains a lot, passes hard lumpy stools, sometimes large bulky ones, sometimes bleeds a little when straining, other times no straining but lots of bright red blood. He has had radiation treatment for prostate cancer 4yrs ago. He is 69yrs old, eats well but getting thinner by the day.

I suggest that your husband consults a gastroenterologist for an opinion. Radiation therapy can be the cause for his symptoms, which usually can lead to long term problems, like fibrotic tissue, causing stool obstruction. You can add fibre to his diet by means of Solgar fibre capsules and Gaviscon Plus, three times daily before meals.

Posted by: Tanya | 2012-09-21

I am not a doctor but willing to give my .2 cents worth.
Terry made no mention of Radiation Therapy unless Carbilev has something to do with this therapy.

How is your husband''s diet?
Does he eat regularly
Does he eat PLENTY of fruit and vegetables, preferably raw.
A very good product for constipation, and its natural, is Oat Bran. It can be found in the cereal aisle in the supermarkets.
This can be mixed with porridge, other cereal, yoghurt - but the most pleasant way to take it is to make a smoothie with fresh fruit, yoghurt or milk, raw egg, almonds, dash cinnamon (good for maintaining healthy sugar levels), ice to make it nice and chilled PLUS 2 tablespoons of Oat Bran. You can also add prunes (without pips of course) raisins.

He could also try dulcolaX suppositories - they soften the stool in the lower anal cavity and give instant relief. Generally if blood passed is bright red it does not originate high up in the colon so the problem seems to be near the entrance of the anus which could be good news.

I hope he finds relief soon as he must be very uncomfortable.

Reply to Tanya