Posted by: Janett | 2011-07-13

rectal bleeding and mid section pain

My husband has been having on and off rectal bleeding for around 6 years, still refusing to go to a doctor. Lately been complaining that he feels a tightening band of pain around his mid section, and visits the loo quite a lot, especially shortly after eating and sometimes in the middle of the night. He has lost weight from 96kg down to 78kg, but tells me he is watching what he eats, I eat the same and have not lost weight at all. Can it be cancer? I am really worried, but he flatly refuses to see a doctor, guess it is because he is also scared of what it might be?

Unfortunately, he will have to overcome his fear and consult a gastroenterologist, as all forms of rectal bleeding should be investigated. It is really important for him to consult the specialist as soon as possible. In the interim, he can use Gaviscon 15 ml, three times daily before meals.

Posted by: Linus | 2011-08-12

A common cause of rectal bleeding is Diverticulosis and along with comes the mid section pain  typically on your left side. The diagnosis is done with a scope pushed up the rectum and fortunately I had a morphine injection and did not feel anything. Diverticulosis is when the diverticle (a small sore on the inside of the intestine) becomes infected and starts to bleed. This can be fatal if you ignore it long enough and the intestine becomes perforated and bleeding goes into the stomach cavity and gets infected - you ignore it at your peril...

Reply to Linus
Posted by: Maney | 2011-08-08

I also suffered from rectal bleeding from the age of 22. I''m 28 now, and can say without hesitation that going to see a gastroenterologist as early as I did was the best possible option. I often suffer bleeds, but now I know exactly how to treat them, and if they persist, I know I have to consult my specialist. For me, the worst part was going in not knowing what to expect. But once you overcome the first appointment and get the much required assurance you need at that moment, you feel as though the world has been lifted from your shoulders. I agree that you should make the appointment for him. The benifits of the relief he will feel will undoubtedly trickle down to you. Best of luck

Reply to Maney
Posted by: Ads | 2011-07-27

I recently went to a gastroenterologist and trust me the worst part was to prepare for the next day. You get a perscription of picoprep (3 sachets) and drink them over intervals of a few hours each and yes it''s not pleasant but at least you are home for the whole day, you drink yellow and green energade and cant eat anyhting except for in the morning. I am sure 200% that, that was the worst part of it. I also refused to go because of fear but it was okay and the doctor explained the whole process from A-Z and it seriously sets your mind at ease. I am glad I went as my bleading have stopped and I feel SO much better. Rather make the appointment for him. It''s better but it must be done

Reply to Ads