Question
Posted by: Ruby | 2010-02-07

Rectal Bleeding

Hello Dr,
With the last 2 bowel movements I had some rectal bleeding.. about a teaspoon full...
Is this serious, do I have to see a doctor? I have a small baby (6 months old) so going to the doctor is a mission and I dont really want to go unless it is absolutely neccessary.
I also have a bit of jaundice, since October 2009... I went to see a doctor about it in November. The doctor said it is nothing to worry about because all serious stuff is ruled out, but she did not know what caused the jaundice or my high white blood count or my slightly high ALT count (33). I have had a bit of discomfort in my tummy since the birth of my baby, but this doctor also said its just because I gave birth. I had normal birth up till 8cm and then cesarian (she was face presentation post terior). I am feeling ok, but still have a bit of swelling in my tummy that get better at times, still a bit of pain that comes and goes, eyes that goes yellow from time to time and now the bleeding. Do I need to see another doctor for second opinion - all related? Or is this something new? Just hemroids or something I can ignore? Its not really sore or anything, just blood... my stools look a little bit dark, so might have blood in, I am not sure??
Please advice?
Thanks very much!!

Ruby

I do suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist. The bloody stool that you passed on two occasions should not be a problem and can be due to a slight mucosal tare in the rectum. The onset of jaundice that appears to be episodic can be due to obstruction of bile. The jaundice should be investigated and a diagnosis made. The gastroenterologist will be able to investigate all possiblities.

2
Posted by: Ruby | 2010-02-08

Thanks very much!

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Poppie | 2010-02-07

This sounds very suspicious. I would defin go for a second opinion.

Reply to Poppie