Question
Posted by: Mike | 2009/03/02

Recovery - what to use

After a long cycle race one tends to be very thirsty and you replenish. Plenty of lactic acid build-up is evident and one is very tired, physically and mentally, what is the best to eat and drink to bring back that energy and get rid of the fatigue as soon as possible?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Mike

It is obviously important that you consume sufficient fluid while racing and best to use a carbohydrate drink that contains about 6-8% protein as well. I’m concerned that you are that thirsty after the race as that means you are already moving into dehydration and that is the biggest reason for tiredness.

Immediately after a race you should consume another 1-2 such drinks to fill the carbohydrate stores and within 45 minutes thereafter you should consume a predominantly protein shake to prevent muscle wastage.

We like to use a product called PeptoPro which is a protein in the peptide form and add that to our PowerAde. Use the same for after the race and we also take a serving of Muscle Armor which contains BCAA, HMB & Glutamine – this is a great combination for muscle recovery and hugely lessens lactic acid build up – sufficient refueling with carbohydrates also lessens lactic acid build up.

Good luck!
Vanessa

3
Posted by: Christo | 2010/03/05

I am a 35 year old male in reasonably good shape. I had a shoulder opt last year in August and have gone through the whole rehab with my fisio, and for the last 2 months with my biogenetics guy. I am still working out to strengthen my shoulders arms back neck and stomach according to the program he worked out for me. I have been doing this for the last 2 months 3 times a week. I have already lost some weight and got some definition back (I don’ t even know what a gym looks like, never went to one). I am 6 ft tall and weigh around 76 kg. I don''t want to lose any more weight and would like to pick up some more muscle weight. Any suggestions?

Reply to Christo
Posted by: Christo | 2010/03/05

Reply to Christo
Posted by: Mike | 2009/03/06

Thank you Vanessa, makes a lot of sense but we novices really rush into things without too much thought and think we know all, until you feel ' down and out'  and then wonder why. Your valuable knowledge and insight will help many out there and I appreciate your assistance.

Reply to Mike