Question
Posted by: 2nd time mommy | 2009/11/03

recovery period of an episiotomy

I actually gave birth last week Monday via an asissted delivery by means of an episiotomy and forceps was also used. My first child was born via a C section.
What is the recovery period of an episiotomy?I also noticed whilst coughing, a pee like liquid runs down my legs, is this normal?
And after how many weeks can one have sex?

thanx

Like any cut. complete healiong takes a few weeks, but it should feel bettwe after a week or so. Don't have sexd till you are completely healed and pain free, on average 3 weeks.
Watch the leaking when you cough. You may have a bit of stress incontinence.

2

Posted by: Maya | 2009/11/03

You should refrain sex for 6 weeks after giving birth so that the cervix is completly closed, to ensure no infections happen. I had an episiotomy and I was " healed"  by the 6 week mark. I bathed in salt water. I think its normal for a bit of liquid to run out because your whole pelvic floor has been used and abused! Just try to your kegal exercises as often as possible and if it still persists after the 6 week mark then let your OB know and she will know what to do.

Reply to Maya