Posted by: Cath | 2009-09-29

Recovery and supplements for cycling

As a lady is it better for us to take protein - whey after a hectic cycle or a recovery drink? I know my male friends take protein but I also heard woman get fat if they drink protein shakes. I am so hungry after training on weekends as well and I am actually also trying to loose weight. What would you recommend?

Many thanks

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Cath

I recommend that you go see a sports nutritionist that can help you precisely – it is quite an involved scenario to ensure weight loss while training excessively – be kind to yourself! They need to work out your daily calorie need that includes your training regimes.

To answer your question: for each hour of training you need to take about 35-40 g carbohydrates with about 10g protein (best is the peptide format – like PeptoPro) and drink that while you are riding – you also need to consume another such product immediately after training and within 45 minutes thereafter you only take a protein shake with 2:1 ratio of protein to carbs and low in fat – try this and you will not believe the results. Males should consume an even larger intake of the above scenario as they are bigger. These supplement intakes should form part of your daily calorie intake and then they cannot make you fat!

Good luck! Give it a try!