records from vet

My vet recently left the practice where he had been employed but was not allowed to take any records with him. I want the records for my animals but when I asked at the practice, they came up with a story that the records had been lost, even to the extent of some blood test reports from the lab and x-rays being lost. They have provided me with a minimal amount of information. How can I force them to hand over the information which, after all, I paid for?

Dear Anon

Ask the vet to phone them. It is standard practice to hand over notes if you go to another vet. The Veterinary council is very strict about keeping good records and making them available to your new practice.

Posted by: steph | 2009-07-15

i had a similair problem when i decided to change vets dt incompetent treatment by one of the vets. she was asked to leave the practice in the end, but i struggled to get my records. you are legally entitled to those and no one may withould them, you' re best off contacting the governing body to which vets are answerable, but also let the practice know that you will be doing so. they may well relent and hand over the records.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-12

Well, if the records really ARE lost, you can' t force them.

It does sound somewhat spurious to me, though - see what the cvet says about the rules, and in need contact the SA Veterinary Association to find out what your rights are, and what the vets'  record-keeping obligations are.

Reply to Chill