Question
Posted by: Kruger | 2011/08/06

Recommendation

Dear Prof Simpson, my 21 year old law student son came to me on 5 Aug to tell me he was extremely unhappy, that he seems to have no motivation to get out of his flat, that his appetite has gone and that he is just unable to concentrate on any academic task. His academic performance is erratic. After this revelation I deem it urgently necessary to make an appointment for him with a psychologist as a start to look for signs of depression or whatever may be wrong. Do you agree? And if so, would you be so kind as to recommend to me a professional at Stellenbosch (would the University have such a service available to students?)

As this is an urgent priority for me I hope you read this over the weekend so that I can set things in motion on Monday.

Your attention to my letter is much appreciated.

Excellent response from maria. this does indeed sound like a depression, a common disorder, and he could probably be assessed and start treatment at low or no cost through the student counselling services and/or student health
If for any reason those services thought eventually that more would be helpful, they could arrange to refer him to the University's Medical School's Department of Psychiatry.

3
Posted by: Kruger | 2011/08/07

I highly appreciate your respective replies. Thank you.

Reply to Kruger

Posted by: Maria | 2011/08/06

He does indeed sound depressed. From the University''s website - he can get help at the Student Centre for Counselling and Development. They are situated at 37 or 49 Victoria Street, Stellenbosch. 24 hour Tel 082 557 0880 or 021 808 8858. Email cdc at sun dot ac dot za

Reply to Maria