Posted by: Rudi | 2009-02-07

recombinant hgh

Dear Doc

I am self administrating recombinant hGH (Kefei, Bio Tech) for its anit-ageing properties. I am currently using 5IU per day.

My question to you is about the effect of hGH on glucose metabolism. I have been experiencing some symptoms of hypoglycemia. I have done homework on hGH. And it is well established that GH increases glucogenesis. Why is it that the symptoms of hypoglycemia occur?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Rudy, thank you for the question.

My advice is to reduce the dosage of your Growth Hormone (GH) immediately and to consult an endocrinologist who can monitor the effects with blood tests.

GH is a peptide hormone that stimulates growth and cell reproduction in humans and other animals. GH also stimulates production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), a hormone homologous to proinsulin. The liver is a major target organ of GH for this process, and is the principal site of IGF-1 production. IGF-1 has growth-stimulating effects on a wide variety of tissues. Additional IGF-1 is generated within target tissues, making it apparently both an endocrine and an autocrine/paracrine hormone. Among other effects on the body GH reduces liver uptake of glucose and promotes gluconeogenesis in the liver, and as such does not increase glycogenesis. There is evidence that GH is also responsible for glycogenolysis (the catabolism of glycogen).

Posted by: Rudi | 2009-02-09

That is my point, it is suppose to raise blood glucose, not decrease it. By which mechanism could GH cause hypoglycemia?

Reply to Rudi