Question
Posted by: Sad | 2011-07-01

Recognition at work

My heart is sore and i dont really want to cry but tears keeps on rolling down my cheeks.
Today the list of people who are nominated for good to great perfomance was published.
I wasn''t nominated. This is upsetting because for the whole of that year, i was doing 3 poeples
job. I did it well. Put on hundreds of overtime hours at the expense of my family. Got great
feedback from clients but all that counts for nothing. I put more that 200%. So, if this is the case
what will motivate me to work hard the next year? I am really upset and i''m even thinking of
leaving this un-appreciative bunch. Is this normal?
Can i improve this situation in any way? what does one do in a case like this?

Nominated by who ? Some businesses allow a process which values creeps and crawlers, without even being able to identify hard workers who achieve real value for the company.
Can you speak to your boss or supervisor, not sounding like you're whining or even complaining, but asking for an explanation to help you understand, and how to perform even better to their satisfaction next year ? Explain that you were working 3 jobs, did a whole lot of overtime, and got good feedback from clients - yet your work seemed to get overlooked. Ask what you did wrong, what you could do better, what maybe you could do less of.
And meanwhile, why not start looking around for a better job with a more appreciative company ? In my experience, some groups only really appreciate how great you were, after you leave.

5
Posted by: Sad | 2011-07-08

thank you all for your responses. I thin i am going to start looking around. If 200% is not " enough"  then i dont know what is.

Reply to Sad
Posted by: Willie | 2011-07-05

My boss went on pension Dec 2010. I was asked to act in his position as we did some kind of succession planning towards this. Now his position is frozen and word goes around that it will be redundant. I do not get one (1) sent extra for doing two jobs untill today. All the responsibilitys, decissionmaking and disciplinary actions comes from me, i am accountable for all.
I''ve started looking around for other jobs and are confident in finding what i''m worh some place else.

What do you recon I should do? Talking to HR did''nt even help, they only look at SAVINGs, #@$& @ makes me mad...

Reply to Willie
Posted by: Been there | 2011-07-02

Hi, join the club ! I work for a company that makes a big annual hoohah giving out all sorts of awards for every conceivable type of job, just like at the " feel good"  primary schools where they give EVERYONE an award, just to make the little slackers feel good, like the kid who has " the best attitude"  I mean come one !! Now at work its the same, with the exception that us poor sods, like yourself do the 200% etc etc but get overlooked ! When the in house news letter is published with all these shiny faces I remarked that they should just take a photo of us few " left-outs"  and say " Everyone in the entire company got an award except these few idiots. " Think of the money they would have on photos and print space !! But seriously, just suck it up and do you best.

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Laurei | 2011-07-02

Sorry to hear about how you are not being appreciated for the great sacrifices you made. Maybe you should point out to your manager how much you have put in. If you dont get any positive response, perhaps looking for a new job wouldnt be such a bad idea, especially since hard working staff are very hard to find. If you go for interviews whilst still employed where you are, you can mention your accomplishments and also that your passion and dedication to your career is so important that you are willing to go the extra mile it takes, to support the company in its goals.

Reply to Laurei