Question
Posted by: ANGELICA | 2011/09/15

RECIPE FOR GIRL

Good day,

I was previously a patient at the Cape Fertility Clinic because I was battling to fall pregnant and when I eventually did, I had three miscarriages in two years. I was scared, but overjoyed when I fell pregnant the fourth time and gave birth to a healthy baby boy who is now 17mths old.
We would love to try for a girl this time round (but on our own) before seeking help again (if needed). What is the recipe to make a baby girl? I have two friends who also had treatment at the clinic and they both had girls. Due to our different health concerns, we had different treatments except for the injection on day 12 whereafter we would have to have intercourse the next day. So now I’ m totally confused… 
I’ ve read that if you want a girl, you need to have intercourse on days 10 and 11. Is this true? My cycle is on average 28 days.
My LMP for the last four months are: 12June, 9 July, 8 August, 5 September.
Please help. I know its up to God, but I so much want a little girl without having to go through heartache.
*PS* I also had an Ectopic pregnancy which damaged my one tube which then had to be removed. I’ m so afraid of it happening again…  What are the chances tho?
Eagerly await your response.

Dear Angelica

I am afraid that having intercourse on particular days does not increase your chances of having either a girl or boy. The only 100% way to ensure that either a boy or a girl would be conceived would be for sex determination of an embryo this would require in-vitro fertilization [IVF] with the procedure called pre-implantation genetic diagnosis [PGD]. PGD in a very simple way the embryos that have been grown after IVF are tested for chromosome abnormalities and in addition the sex is determined and those healthy embryos will be transferred into the uterus to allow for a pregnancy to occur.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

2
Posted by: XX | 2011/09/22

Angelica,

You aim should be to have a healthy child. A boy should not cause heartache.

What would you do if you fell preggies with a boy and you are now heartbroken? Will you abort because you will forever look at him &  feel pain because of his sex?

And what happens if all your embyos are male? Will you not want them? Will you have them destroyed and keep trying until you get a female?

Male or female, just be happy that you have a child. Too many of us just want a healthy child.

Reply to XX
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2011/09/21

Dear Angelica

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert