Question
Posted by: Janine | 2012/01/11

Recipe

Dear DietDoc

I saw this recipe being made by Nigella and I wondered about it in terms of Glycemic Index (as it is made with Almonds, not flour) and Cholesterol management (it''s made with olive oil). My mom struggles with both cholesterol and sugar (insulin resistant, but not yet diabetic) and I wondered about this cake as a possiblity for her (in moderation! :) Many thanks! (see below)

(it''s meant to be served with cream/marscapone - but i would leave that out)
2 medium carrots (approx. 200-250g/7-9oz)
75g/3oz golden sultanas
60ml/2¼ fl oz rum
150g/5oz caster sugar
125ml/4½ fl oz regular olive oil, plus extra for greasing
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 free-range eggs
250g/9oz ground almonds
½  tsp ground nutmeg, or to taste
½  lemon, finely grated zest and juice

thank you!

Dear Janine
I must say that Nigella's cake sounds delicious. It is of course quite high in energy (the sugar, almonds and the oil), and could contain quite a lot of cholesterol (those 3 eggs!), but as you say, the recipe uses olive oil which is at least a healthy monounsaturated fat and the carrots and sultanas will provide some dietary fibre. As is the case with any relatively rich cake, most patients can occasionally have a moderate serving of such foods, esp for special occasions and celebrations. Do replace the mascarpone or cream with fat-free cottage cheese to save some kJ and fat!If you are struggling to provide some variety in your dear Mom's diet then I would recommend that you contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za to buy a copy of her cookbook for diabetics and patients with insulin resistance, which is called 'South African Cookbook for Diabetes and Insulin Resistance'. This cookbook contains super recipes including cakes and puddings which diabetics and patients with IR or high cholesterol can eat and enjoy.

1

Dear Janine