Posted by: dw | 2009-07-27

Hi doc. When I spend time with people for a long time, I tend to shut down. I become really withdrawn and dont seem to have any thought processes. This happens when I am in a relationship as well. I need to then have time on my own to recharge and become myself again. Is this normal? I am seeing a psych for social anxiety and am on Adco Mirteron. Is there anyway I can overcome this? Thanks.

This sounds like a variation of social anxiety --- isn't what you describe here exactly what you are discussing with and working on, with your psych ? The only method seriously shown to help would be a version ot Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, and I hope that is what your psych is using, as psychoanalytical models are useless. The psych should be focussing on exactly the sort of situations you describe, and enabling you to practise alternative ways of handling them. A range of drugs also used to treat depression can also help, though perhaps there is more evidence for the value of the SSRI ( prozac ) family than for Mirteron itself.